Fakẻs soupa - lentil soup

Apr 30, 2012




     Legumes are an important part of the Greek diet. Lentils (fakẻs in Greek) are usually cooked as a soup with carrots and garlic and are traditionally served with a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar.
     I remember lentil soup was a Tuesday dish in my home and, as you know, kids don’t usually like legumes. So my grandmother would make omelet for me with my mother hesitating to agree, - thinking  that I would become spoiled. So I was almost ten years old when I first tasted my mother’s lentil soup. We were on summer vacation with my cousins who loved lentil soup and they convinced me to try it. Since that day I have never argued about this dish. Actually I really like lentils a lot, so why don’t you try them for yourself?




Serves 4

500gr brown lentils
½ cup olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 carrot grated or cut in cubes
1 bay leaf or some fresh dill
2 garlic cloves
1 ½ litre water
salt and pepper to taste

     Place the lentils in a large skillet. Cover with 2 litres of water. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. and cook for 10 minutes. Then drain the lentils into a strainer.
In the same skillet over medium heat,  put the strained lentils, onion, carrot, garlic cloves, bay leaf or dill, olive oil and 1 ½ litres of water, cover, and bring to a simmer. 
     Cook until the lentils have softened, - 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
When the soup is ready add salt and pepper. Before serving the soup- hot or cold- drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.




No comments

Post a Comment